Granola bars can make great snacks and on-the-go mini meals. Unfortunately, most packaged granola bars that you can buy at the grocery store are full of added sugars and other potentially unsavory additives.
This recipes has no refined sugars and is full of healthy powerhouses such as chia seeds, cacao, coconut and raw nuts.
2/3 cup gluten-free rolled oats
1/2 cup raw buckwheat groats
1/2 cup chopped almonds/walnuts/raw nut of choice (preferably pre-soaked)
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
4 tbsp chia seeds
3 tbsp cacao nibs
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
Wet ingredients3/4 cup apple sauce
1/2 cup natural peanut/almond/other nut butter
2 T brown rice syrup
1 T maple syrup
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease an 8-inch square pan with coconut oil
- Grind the raw buckwheat groats in high-speed blender/food processor until a fine flour forms
- Whisk all dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Mix all the wet ingredients in another bowl.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir well until combined.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350F for 25 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and the bread is firm to touch.
- Cool in the pan completely before removing and slicing into bars.
Recipe modified from ohsheglows.com